Archives4evah

The trials and tribulations of Library School for a Archivist to be.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Why I am a proud Vermonter

There are so many things that make me thank the day that my father and mother decided way back in the early 1970's to run from the urban environment of New York City and settle down in a rural lil town in Vermont. It wasn't easy...We are Indian (East) and both my parents are doctors. We stood out. We also loved our town and after a few years were a part of the community and though there was some ignorance, prejudice and jealousy, there always was a lot of support, loyalty and friendship to be had. It also was and is beautiful...A place like a natural theme park of perfect. It was where I first developed my ideal of beauty and it was the view from our window out onto the mountain range covered with snow. I have always gone back to Vermont even though I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco, Providence RI and other places, it just calls to me. I love the independent, liberal (to a certain extent), community spirit of the state and feel proud to be one of them.

And now....

We have Jessamyn West. I'm pretty sure you all know her, but I just found in her Wikipedia entry one of the coolest things in her Patriot Act stance. She devised a sign to put in libraries that states "The FBI has not been here. Watch very closely for the removal of this sign." It further states that the Vermont Library Association provided copies of this sign to all Vermont public libraries.

Yeah, Vermonters rock.

Check out Jessamyn's website at librarian.net . She has a funny blog post about the incumbent ALA pres. having a blog....As opposed to Mr Gorman.

Until this weekend.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home