Archives4evah

The trials and tribulations of Library School for a Archivist to be.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

So, in my management class, we have been talking a little about the future of libraries and what needs to shift on order for the results of a library to match that of it's expectations. We are reading this really interesting book called "The Experience Economy" which really has some cool ideas, though bathed in the typical corporate good ideaology and a little too much religious dogma for me to feel totally comfortable. The main point is true in my opinion though, that we should be providing something more than service. We should be providing an experience. One that changes people after they have it. In my opinion, we should be looking at our ability to get patrons what they want instead of just traffiking in information. Im thinking full service...but what do I know, Ive only just started this course. What do y'all think? I mean, our prof told us there are the same (roughly) number of McDonald's as public libraries...why do we think of MikkyD's as convienent and not libraries? (Im thinking as a consumer here)...I mean, the Harold Washington public lib. is a really cool invention in my opinion as it does make life easier for me to run in and get a book, DVD, or CD, but I dont go as much as I should because for me the experience of seeing all of those unhappy workers there...and the total lack of interface in terms of patron/librarian conversation. They are automatons there, is it by design or by choice? I cant believe that the customer service there is that consistently bad by accident. I mean, in theory, that job should be a pretty cool one to go to every morning...Im just confused, I guess. If you want to check out more, visit thier website.

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I was so glad to see your post since I was just about to rant about this same subject on my own blog. Within the past two weeks I have heard complaints from two different people (3 if I count myself) about how unpleasent the CPL librarians are.

I'm dumbfounded on this one. I can honestly say that my experience is the opposite at almost every other library system around. Why are they so miserable, unhelpful and condescending at CPL? What is it about that system in particular?I'm truly curious...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home